Mike is a board certified specialist in real estate and in condominium and planned development law. He also serves as a member of the Condominium and Planned Development Committee of The Florida Bar.
A graduate of Harvard College and Duke Law School, he concentrates his practice in commercial and residential real estate development and related transactions, including condominiums and planned developments. Mike has represented numerous real estate developers and investors since 1977 and has created governing documents for projects ranging from developments of regional impact to boutique condominiums. He offers counsel in the acquisition, financing, development, leasing, and sale of real estate investments and in joint venture structuring.
Representative of Mike’s practice are the following matters:
- Structured, documented, and provided ongoing counsel for developments of regional impact with sales exceeding $500 million
- Represented multiple European investors in the acquisition, development, and sale of large residential and commercial projects
- Negotiated, documented, and closed the purchase of a $50 million land acquisition for development as a residential bayfront project
- Prepared documentation and provided ongoing counsel for the development of residential condominiums, commercial condominiums, land condominiums, mixed-use condominiums, and leasehold condominiums
- Created a mechanism and documentation to produce substantial ongoing revenue to developers through the long-term sale to associations of storm water for irrigation purposes
- Amended homeowner association documents to create mandatory country club membership requirements for future lot owners in multiple developments
- Devised a structure for a townhouse project functioning as a condominium without subjecting the project to the Florida condominium act
- Negotiated, documented, and closed the sale of a $39 million citrus grove
- Restructured a multi-owner limited liability company to capitalize debt, eliminate noncontributing company members, and reorganize land holdings
- Negotiated, documented, and closed the sale and purchase of multiple self-storage facilities
Mike joined the firm immediately after law school and became a partner in 1982.