Our health law attorneys assist healthcare providers with operational and regulatory matters, including professional licensing, compliance planning, Medicare/Medicaid issues and appeals, DEA issues, and provider contracting. We support physicians, medical groups, senior living facilities, ambulatory surgical centers, assisted living and skilled nursing facilities, home health agencies and hospices, healthcare infrastructure companies, and medical information and technology companies.
Our healthcare practice encompasses health law, financing, real estate, litigation, labor and employment, regulation, licensure, and compliance. Our practitioners include a board certified health law specialist as well as an attorney with an MD and MBA who understand the industry and the interplay of day to day operations with legal requirements.
Examples of our team's healthcare experience includes:
- Provide counsel to the Sarasota Memorial Health Care System (a billion-dollar entity employing over 3500 employees).
- Serve as general counsel to one of the nation's largest 340B program providers which provides services to persons with HIV and STD diagnosis.
- Structured national anesthesia practice and serve as general counsel.
- Represented a senior housing operator in the purchase of six skilled nursing facilities in various locations throughout Alabama, including distressed facilities. The multiparty matter included operations transfers, corporate and tax matters, licensing issues, financing, and compliance issues.
- Negotiated a multimillion dollar investment by a venture capital firm into a physician management and billing operation with back office support in India, and provided ongoing structuring, contracting, and compliance advice.
- Provided licensing and acquisition counsel with regard to multimillion dollar transactions involving both sale and acquisition of assisted living and skilled nursing facilities.
- Handled sale of physician practices to hospitals, health systems, and physician organizations and repurchase from like entities.
- Provided legal review of all managed care contracting for a hospital system.
- Ongoing representation of physician-hospital organizations including managed care contracting and antitrust compliance.
- Ongoing representation of a multihospital pathology provider.
- Established concierge medicine practices including Medicare opt-out advice.
- Represented providers before state regulatory agencies, including Florida Department of Health, Florida Board of Medicine and Florida Board of Nursing.
- Represented a senior housing client with respect to corporate, tax, operational, compliance, real estate, and financing issues in the acquisition from a public company of a senior living community in Arizona consisting of 65 assisted living units, 16 memory care units, and 111 skilled nursing beds.
- Represented a senior housing client regarding corporate, tax, operational, compliance, real estate, and financing issues in the acquisition from a public company of a senior living community in Arizona consisting of 128 skilled nursing beds and 338 independent living units.
- Represented a senior housing client regarding corporate, tax, operational, compliance, real estate, and financing issues in the sale of a senior living community in Arizona consisting of 128 skilled nursing beds and a 50-bed long-term acute care hospital.
- Represented a senior housing client in the sale of 80 percent of an independent living, assisted living, and memory care facility in Florida to a private equity fund. The matter included corporate, tax, operational, compliance, real estate, and financing issues. It also included the sale, drafting and negotiation of the post-sale joint venture agreement between the buyer and seller, a management agreement for the continued management of the facility by the seller post-closing, and a development agreement for future expansion of the facility.