Mike practices tax, corporate, and business law handling sophisticated tax planning and tax controversy matters and advising clients on their most significant business transactions. Mike serves as outside general counsel to businesses of all sizes in many different industries.
He is certified as a tax specialist by the Florida Bar and handles federal, state and international tax planning matters. Mike also represents clients during the tax audit process, before the Internal Revenue Service Appeals Office, before the Internal Revenue Service National Office in connection with requests for rulings and technical advice, and before the Florida Department of Revenue in connection with audits, appeals, and ruling requests. Mike also represents clients before the United States Tax Court and the Congressional Joint Committee on Taxation.
Mike advises clients on sales, acquisitions, mergers, joint ventures, private equity and venture capital investments, capital raising transactions, tax-exempt bond financings, credit facilities, business succession, and other business transactions. He also handles corporate governance and general commercial matters.
Mike has been a member of the firm's management committee since 2009, and is the firm's treasurer.
Mike’s representative matters include:
- Counsel for sale of $80 million senior housing business and post-sale joint venture, development, and management structure
- Outside general counsel to $150 million consumer services company with operations in the United States, Europe, and Asia
- Counsel for sale of software company for $34 million in cash and stock to a publicly traded company
- Cousnel for acquisition of $40 million senior housing business with multiple campuses
- Outside general counsel to multi-state pest control business
- Outside general counsel to national franchise company with over 220 franchise locations
- Counsel to senior living business with facilities throughout Florida
- Representation of private equity and venture capital funds in business acquisitions and divestitures, and private offerings
- Tax and corporate counsel to family offices
- Created tax planning strategy for real estate developers to generate significant ordinary income tax losses, and successfully defended the strategy before the Internal Revenue Service and the Congressional Joint Committee on Taxation
- Representation of several affiliated taxpayers in settling four-year, $16 million IRS audit for $1.9 million
- Representation of conduit borrowers in tax-exempt bond transactions
- Representation of non-profit in a large merger creating a combined organization covering the entire Tampa Bay region