John is a board certified health law attorney and leader of the firm's Healthcare practice.
He specializes in representing physicians; medical groups; ambulatory surgical centers; senior living facilities, including assisted living and skilled nursing facilities; home health agencies; and healthcare infrastructure companies. John has a large practice among hospital-based physicians, including emergency, anesthesia, and pathology practices. He also represents both domestic and international businesses and numerous not-for-profit entities.
Examples of John’s health law experience include:
- Provides counsel to physician-hospital organizations, including managed care contracting and antitrust compliance
- Provides ongoing legal services to a multihospital pathology provider
- Serves as general counsel to one of the nation’s largest 340B program providers of services to persons with HIV and STD diagnosis
- Structured a national anesthesia practice and serves as its general counsel
- Represented a senior housing operator in the purchase of six skilled nursing facilities in various locations throughout Alabama, including distressed facilities. The multiparty matter included operations transfers, corporate and tax matters, licensing issues, financing, and compliance issues
- Negotiated a multimillion-dollar investment by a venture capital firm into a physician management and billing operation with back office support in India, and provided ongoing structuring, contracting, and compliance advice
- Provided licensing and acquisition counsel for several multimillion-dollar transactions involving both sale and acquisition of assisted living and skilled nursing facilities
- Structured the sale of physician practices to hospitals, health systems, and physician organizations and repurchase from like entities
- Provided legal review of all managed care contracting for a hospital system
- Established concierge medicine practices including Medicare opt-out advice for physicians
John also has extensive experience working with non-healthcare entities. Some examples include:
- Handled private placement and structuring of a pine nut processor in Siberia, Russia
- Provided 50-state licensing advice and ongoing general counsel to a publicly traded stored value card company
- Provided charitable solicitations registration guidance to a not-for-profit corporation raising funds in multiple states
John joined the firm upon graduating from law school in 1991 and became a shareholder in 1998. He serves as the firm’s recruiting partner.